England’s Lucy Goddard led from wire to wire to win the Irish women’s open stroke play championship at Douglas by a shot.She’s the second English player in a row to win the title – following Meghan MacLaren in 2013 – and she’s the second Hertfordshire player to win in four years, following Hannah Burke in 2010.The win lifts Lucy (image courtesy ILGU) into second place in the England Golf women’s order of merit, sponsored by Lorrin Golf.The Hanbury Manor player was two-under par for the 54-hole event, with rounds of 71, 74 and 72, and held off Ireland’s Chloe Ryan, who challenged hard for the title.Lucy’s lead was always slender – just one shot after both the first and second rounds – and after nine holes of the final round she had been overtaken by Chloe. The Irish player was two-under par to the turn and led by one as they started home, only to bogey the 12th and drop back into a tie.Lucy took charge again in dramatic fashion, with an eagle three on the long 14th, which put her two ahead. Although she bogeyed the 17th, she still held a one shot lead and she secured victory with a regulation par on the home green.Three other English players finished in the top ten: Inci Mehmet (Wentworth) tied fifth, while Bethan Popel (Long Ashton) shared eighth place and Alex Peters (Notts Ladies) tied tenth.The England team of Sammy Fuller (Roehampton), Meghan MacLaren (Wellingborough) and Bethan Popel were runners-up behind Ireland in the Nations Cup event. 28 May 2014 Irish stroke play victory for Lucy Goddard
Rossland/Trail’s Ben Gresley-Jones and Josh Coletti of Granite Pointe went in opposite directions during round three of the B.C. Men’s Amateur Golf Championship Thursday at The Dunes near Kamloops.Gresley-Jones fired a 3-under-par 69 to climb into a tie for 16th spot while Coletti ballooned to a 78 to fall into 73rd spot.Second round leader Richard Jung of Toronto continues to lead the tournament after shooting a 7-under-par 65 to grab a four-stroke lead over the field.David Rose of West Vancouver is second, one shot ahead of Kevin Carrigan of Victoria.Craig Doell and Bryan Toth, both of Victoria, are fourth and fifth respectively.Round four goes today with the B.C. Champ being crowed later in the email@example.com
Interestingly, after such a comfortable run, the youngster, who many considered a dark horse in the event, might have shown that it will take a lot more than more popular names to beat her. “I’m feeling good. I’m a person who hates the 400 metres, but at this point my coach, Stephen Francis, thinks it’s the best event for me. I’m really happy I made it to the final,” said Jackson, who arrived in Beijing having never competed in a 400m as a senior athlete at any international event. “I followed my coach’s instruction, which was to get out and get a good place in the race, and even if I finish second, that I should ensure it’s a close one. I went out there just to make the final and then take it from there,” she explained. “My plan was to run a hard 50 metres and then relax, but I think I went out a bit too slowly so I had a lot of ground to make up.” Jackson, added that she wasn’t affected by the presence of Felix in her semi-final and that she is eager to take on the challenge and experience the final. “I trust my coach and I trust my body to know what type of shape I am in. Watching my teammates compete motivates me a lot, too, because it helps with the nervousness,” Jackson said. “I have learnt to run my own race and take it each step at a time. Medals aren’t handed out in the semi-finals or the heats, so you have to save a little for the final.” She may be looking towards the final, but she isn’t any closer to embracing the event just yet. Either way, Jackson’s performances have so far certainly made it hard to argue against her coach’s decision. “No, I still don’t like it (400m), the workload is pretty hard, but you have to put in the work if you want to be the champion,” smiled Jackson. The women’s 400m final is set for tomorrow morning at 7:40. BEIJING, China: Twenty-one-year-old Jamaican quarter-miler, Shericka Jackson, has been having a love-hate relationship with the 400 metres ever since her coach, Stephen Francis, tried to convince her it’s the best event for her to run. Jackson, who had success at the regional and international stage as a youth and junior athlete in the 200m, felt, and still feels, that she is more of a 200-metre type of girl and not even a place in the 400m final at the IAAF World Championships and a new personal best in the event seemed to change her mind. The fast-rising University of Technology-MVP Track Club athlete sent a warning shot to the semi-finals inside the Bird’s Nest, dropping back and easing to a 50.03-second clocking for second place behind Allyson Felix in their heat yesterday. That was the fastest time by a Jamaican this year and is, in fact, the best time registered by a Jamaican woman since 2013. Only four women have gone faster than Jackson this year, and only seven Jamaicans have ever gone faster. Dark horse
CALGARY, A.B. – Enbridge Inc. is working with shippers to optimize its Mainline pipeline system in a bid to boost throughput by 50,000 to 100,000 barrels per day.Chief executive Al Monaco said Friday that although its Liquids Mainline System, the largest export option for western Canadian producers, was full and hit a record this quarter, storage levels in Alberta remain “stubbornly high.”“Given that and given Line 3 isn’t expected to be in service now until 2020, we will continue to focus on optimizing our system, and working with shippers on ways to add 50 to 100,000 barrels per day of throughput,” he said on a conference call to discuss its latest earnings.- Advertisement -Permitting issues in the U.S. have delayed Enbridge’s Line 3 replacement pipeline project until the second half of 2020, a year later than expected. The Line 3 project is expected to add 370,000 barrels per day of export capacity of Canadian crude.Pipeline capacity has been a key issue for Canadian oilsands producers as they have struggled to ship their product to market and looked to alternatives such as shipping by rail.The Alberta government introduced mandatory production curtailments this year after the discount on bitumen-blend Western Canadian Select oil prices hit record levels last fall.Advertisement Monaco said Friday that Enbridge’s systems were running well and near capacity.In addition to the record throughput on its Mainline, Enbridge’s gas transmission systems were also in high demand given the colder weather in some of the company’s franchise areas this winter, Monaco said.“We’re off to a great start this year, with record operating and financial results across all of our systems.”Enbridge pipelines handle about 62 per cent of Canada’s exports of crude oil into the U.S. and move about 18 per cent of all natural gas consumed in the U.S. Monaco’s comments came as the pipeline giant’s latest earnings topped expectations with a first-quarter profit of $1.89 billion.The Calgary-based pipeline company said the profit amounted to 94 cents per share for the quarter ended March 31. The result was up from $445 million or 26 cents per share a year ago when the company was hit by a number of one-time charges.On an adjusted basis, Enbridge says it earned $1.64 billion or 81 cents per share in its most recent quarter, up from $1.38 billion or 82 cents per share a year ago when it had fewer shares outstanding.Analysts on average had expected a profit of 72 cents per share for the quarter, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon.Advertisement
What was missing was a respectable national team, but Qatar seem to have solved that problem after putting together a record-breaking run in hostile conditions in the United Arab Emirates.Plastic bottles and even shoes rained down on the Qatari players as they thrashed the hosts 4-0 to reach their first Asian Cup final, keeping an unprecedented sixth clean sheet in the process.The ongoing Gulf blockade of Qatar has sent tensions sky-high, and with Qataris largely barred from UAE the Maroons have been virtually bereft of fans. But despite this, they have cut a swathe through the competition.Qatar’s forward Almoez Ali has netted a record-equalling eight times at the Asian Cup © AFP / Roslan RAHMANAlmoez Ali has netted a record-equalling eight times, and Qatar’s goal difference of scored 16, conceded none is the best in Asian Cup history.It is a far cry from 2015, when Qatar lost all three group games and left with zero points, with the prospect of World Cup embarrassment looming on the horizon.But whatever happens in Friday’s final with Japan, Qatar have shown they need to be taken seriously in 2022, despite being the World Cup’s first post-war hosts not to have previously played in the competition.– ‘Like a family’ –Qatar’s success on the pitch stems from Doha’s Aspire Academy, which has produced athletes of the calibre of world champion high jumper Mutaz Essa Barshim.But the major focus is football and Aspire has gone to the lengths of buying clubs in Spain and Belgium, and forging links with others including Leeds United, to give its players greater exposure.Qatar’s success on the pitch stems from Doha’s Aspire Academy, which has produced world champion athletes © AL-WATAN DOHA/AFP / KARIM JAAFARThe quality of the facilities is such that Aspire is sought out for warm-weather training by major European clubs like Manchester United and Bayern Munich.It also searches far and wide for high-quality coaches, including current national team boss Felix Sanchez, who moved from Barcelona’s academy in 2006.Sanchez was in charge of Qatar’s under-19s in 2014 when they won their first Asian title, with a squad including Ali and several others now at the Asian Cup.“We work very hard all the time. Every training session we train together, it’s like a family,” Portuguese-born defender Pedro Correia told AFP.“All the time we’re like a family, it’s important. And we take that into the games… we’re in the final because of that.”After leaving Aspire, nearly all the players join Qatari teams with close links to the academy. Eight of the semi-final starters came from the same club, Al Sadd.“We like to keep the ball, play football. This is our style, it’s good football, enjoyable. Believe me, we work very hard every training session to play like this,” Correia said.Serial claims of Qatari corruption and vote-buying — strongly denied by officials — followed their victory in the World Cup hosting race in 2010 © AFP / Karim ABOU MERHIHowever, Qatar’s expansion in football is not without controversy and serial claims of corruption and vote-buying — strongly denied by Qatari officials — followed their victory in the World Cup hosting race in 2010.Among the claims were accusations that implicated Aspire, casting suspicion on its scouting network’s activities in countries with strong influence within FIFA.Criticism of Qatar’s treatment of migrant workers, moving the tournament to winter and the proposal to expand it to 48 teams have all contributed to what has been a rocky World Cup build-up.But all this is of little concern to the team, who will take another step in their World Cup preparations when they play this year’s Copa America as guests, along with Japan.“We’re working very hard with the young players in this team,” said Correia. “All the players are 22, 23. This is all part of the thinking to prepare for the World Cup 2022.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Despite the ongoing Gulf blockade, Qatar have cut a swathe through the competition at the Asian Cup © AFP / Roslan RAHMANABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates, Jan 31 – Qatar’s transformation from also-rans to Asian Cup finalists was meticulously planned and has been years in the making — and has finally given Qataris some swagger as they prepare to host the World Cup.The wealthy Gulf state has long projected its power through football, notably by winning the right to host the 2022 World Cup and by buying Paris Saint-Germain, the club of Neymar, the world’s most expensive player.
CAIRO, Egypt – Al-Qaida has invited journalists to send questions to its No. 2 figure, Ayman al-Zawahri, in the first such offer by the increasingly media-savvy terror network to “interview” one of its leaders since the 9-11 attacks. The invitation is a new twist in al-Qaida’s campaign to reach a broader audience, and represents an attempt by al-Zawahri to present himself as a sophisticated leader rather than a mass murderer. “I think their media capability is sophisticated as ever,” said Bruce Hoffman, a terrorism expert and professor at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “It shows how this group with seventh century ideology is exploiting 21st century media capabilities.” The advertisement, issued by the group’s media arm Al-Sahab on an Islamic militant Web site, invites “individuals, agencies and all media” to submit written questions for al-Zawahri by sending them to the Web forums where Al-Sahab traditionally posts its messages. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champAl-Sahab asked the forums to send it the questions “with no changes or substitutions, no matter whether they agree or disagree (with the question).” It said it would take questions until Jan. 16, after which al-Zawahri would answer them “as much as he is able and at the soonest possible occasion.” It did not say whether his answers would come in writing, video or audiotape. The authenticity of the invitation, first posted Sunday, could not be independently confirmed. But it was posted with the logo of Al-Sahab and the style of graphics and calligraphy it traditionally uses, along with a photo of al-Zawahri. The advertisement appeared on several Web sites that Al-Sahab officially uses for issuing messages. Osama bin Laden and al-Zawahri have given a few interviews to Western and Arabic press since they first rose to prominence in the 1990s. But neither has been interviewed since the Sept. 11 attacks and the subsequent U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, which toppled al-Qaida’s patrons the Taliban and sent al-Qaida’s leaders into hiding. They are believed to be in the lawless regions along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. Since then, al-Zawahri has emerged as al-Qaida’s most prominent spokesman. He has appeared in at least 16 videos and audiotapes this year, compared with four for bin Laden. As a whole, the terrorism network’s messaging has dramatically increased this year, with Al-Sahab issuing more than 90 videos in 2007, more than the total number for all three previous years, according to IntelCenter, a U.S. counterterrorism center that monitors militant message traffic.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
GLENFIN GAA NOTESClub Membership: Now due Adults €50.00. U18 €20.00Minor Board:Under age training: Wednesday 10th February, U8 and U10 training cancelled. Training as usual on Wednesday 17th. Thursdays, under 12, under 13 & under 14 Boys 6.15pm to 7.15pm. Senior Men:2016 Gaeltacht competition Juniors home to Termon, Seniors Away to Glenswilly dates TBCLadies: Minor Training Wednesday 8pm to 9pm.Handball: Handball training for all National schools on Monday nights from 6.30pm to 8.00pmTickets are now available for our presentation night on Saturday the 20th of February at €15.00 each which includes Buffet and music.2015 Donegal Year Books are still available at €10 each.Well done to all Glenfin players involved in Donegal’s two great victories at the weekend. Donegal senior men beat Cork while Donegal ladies beat Laois.Next Club Meeting 07/03/2016 GAA NEWS: HANDBALL TRAINING BACK AT GLENFIN was last modified: February 10th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGLENFIN GAA NOTES
Donegal’s deputy Mayor has welcomed support for a full Independent Investigation into the murder of Cllr Eddie Fullerton at the monthly sitting of the Border Regional Authority in the county house in Lifford.Cllr Marie-Therese Gallagher said the only way to find answers to the murder of the Buncrana councillor was through an independent enquiry.Cllr Gallagher said “Today is the 20th anniversary of the Assassination of Cllr Eddie Fullerton, over the past 20 years Eddies family, friends and local community have continued to seek the truth surrounding his murder. “I feel it is appropriate that sitting here in Lifford today, in the very room that Eddie Fullerton represented the people of Donegal, that we renew the call for an independent enquiry to be established to answer the many questions that remain unanswered.“Eddie Fullerton’s murder in Donegal was a shocking incident in which agents of the British state specifically targeted one of the most effective and determined local councillors ever to represent Sinn Féin and indeed this local Authority.”“I welcome that members of the Border Regional Authority support the call for truth and justice and pledge their support for an independent enquiry.”“The BRA is represented of public representatives from Louth, Monaghan, Cavan, Leitrim and Donegal, all counties that have been affected detrimentally by the partition of this country.” Cllr Fullerton was gunned down in his Buncrana home in 1991 in front of his wife.His killers have never been caught.A full programme of events including the unveiling of a memorial stone will take place to commemorate Cllr Fullerton’s death this Sunday in Buncrana.EndsBRA SUPPORTS CALL FOR INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO MURDER OF CLLR EDDIE FULLERTON was last modified: May 26th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Marie Therese GallagherEddie Fullertonmurder
Punting Total30103834.6 Sylmar10/28/20050102462 Thomas,D.131540 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Rushing Total30916345.318 Canoga Park09/30/200501002 Lovo,E.1 RECEIVINGRECYDSTD Hamilton10/07/200510096 TOTAL2005370138212 Passing Total1205085412 Nunez,G.012218 Thomas,T.1 McFall,M.1 Lozano,I.273.50 Pena,E.20012 Van Nuys11/11/20051004731 Thomas,T.20012 Lozano,I.150 Interceptions Total7 San Fernando10/14/2005100100 Rinon,O.171271 Rinon,O.1 Gibson,J.1281 Sanchez,R.32-23-0.70 Thomas,T.201135.72 Pena,E.17563.32 Demercado,E.381183.11 RUSHINGTCBNYGAvg.TD Kennedy11/04/2005010020 Pena,E.2230 Looney,L.20100-100.00 Grant09/23/20050102131 Rinon,O.44711.81 VS SCHOOLDateWLTPFPA PASSINGPAPCPIYDSTDRating Gibson,J.1006 Cleveland09/16/2005010712 Pena,E.12020.0 University LA09/09/2005010724 Castro,J.71130 Sanchez,R.118507541274.61 Looney,L.4250 INTERCEPTIONSNo. RECORD: 3-7-0 PUNTINGNo.YDSAvg. Scoring Total20122138 SCORINGTDPATFGTP Olivera,E.200.00 Nunez,G.29101835.1 Receiving Total505412 Demercado,E.1006 Monroe10/21/20050101324 Castro,J.3 Looney,L.120072 Nunez,G.1-30 Williams,M.4690 Rinon,O.20012 Looney,L.19313216.812 Nunez,G.1-5-5.00