The students gathered in the school’s quadrangle from as early as 6:30 yesterday morning, with vuvuzelas blowing while dancing to music, which was provided by telecommunications company Flow. The students were also entertained by comedian Pretty Boy Floyd. Principal Walters said this is one of the school’s greatest achievements. After the celebrations yesterday morning, the athletes paraded through the town of Frankfield and on to Chapelton as they shared their victory with the communities which have been supporting them over the years. Everton Walters, principal of reigning ISSA-GraceKennedy Girls’ Athletics Champions Edwin Allen, said they intend on holding on to the title for a very long time. Walters made the declaration during yesterday’s title celebrations at the school’s grounds in Frankfield, Clarendon. Edwin Allen celebrated its fifth girls’ title in six years, after last weekend’s Championships at the National Stadium. At the end of the meet, Edwin Allen finished atop the point standings, with 316.5 points, a clear 51.5 points ahead of their closest rivals, Hydel High. “We want to have it as long as possible – even for the next five years – to maintain this dominance,” said Walters. “We were not deterred by what happen in 2013, because we lost by five points, but we were insistent that we were going to take it, and in 2014, we took it, and we have held it since, and I am very impressed with the team,” he added. Edwin Allen’s coach, Michael Dyke, said that he was very elated with his team’s achievements despite their struggles during the championships. “It became challenging during the course of the championships due to the fact that there is no such thing as a perfect championships, because we suffered our fair share of mishaps, but in the end, the girls stuck to the task,” said Dyke. “We had good experience, good quality, and they delivered in the end,” he said. GATHERED EARLY
In the next few months, the Ebola virus disease (EVD), which has torn the country apart and brought excruciating pain and frustration upon citizens, will be a thing of the past, but its scars will live on forever in the minds and lives of Liberians. Many of the victims are children, some of them as young as 4 months old. Their lives have been altered and will forever be defined by the outbreak of this scourge.But light is beginning to show its face in the lives of some of these orphans from the northwestern part of the country, specifically Foya District in Lofa County. Many of these children may have lost their parents and other relatives, but all is not lost.Raise Your Hand Foundation (RYHF), a United States-based non-governmental organization which also has a local arm, is about to put smiles on the faces of orphans, who now number about 567 in Foya and its immediate surroundings.Lofa, especially Foya, was at one point considered the epicenter of the outbreak during the initial stage of the crisis.RYHF is working with a local organization, Makona Ebola Survivor Incorporated (MESI), a parent body that seeks the welfare of survivors and orphans in Foya, where it is headquartered, to provide scholarships for college age adults. The organization is striving to find out how it can help some of these orphans get back into school.MESI operates a child welfare center where about 167 of these children, who lost both parents and have no relatives to care for them, reside. The rest of the 567 kids live with relatives in various communities.RYHF founder and president, Shelley Spurlock, in a communication to MESI’s president, Joseph Massaquoi, said her organization would like to expand its outreach to help some of the children get into school.RYHF Liberia’s country director, Alexander Ireland, had earlier led a team to Foya to search for an orphan, Sheku Gbollie, whose heartwarming story was reported in the October 23, 2014, edition of this newspaper. RYHF is already providing a full scholarship to Sheku, who is currently studying at the Cuttington University in Suakoko, Bong County.The US-based organization is also partnering with a grade school in that county to raise funds for a post-Ebola scholarship program to assist with the Ebola orphans in Foya. Mrs. Spurlock said the initiative is intended to give hope to children who have lost almost everything. “The only thing we can do for them now is to give them hope for the future. When they are educated they will be able to look back and narrate their own stories,” she said. Mr. Massaquoi lauded RYHF for the initial steps and said that the children have lost everything and it is now in the reach of kind hearted people to show them love. “The best love you can show children, especially the vulnerable ones that we are dealing with now, is education.”Meanwhile, RYHF has also provided numerous scholarships to underprivileged Liberians, many of whom lost their parents during the Liberian civil war. Some of the beneficiaries have graduated from high school, while others are still attending various institutions of higher learning in the country.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…tells Magistrate she “ain’t make no sense,” A former Berbice athlete was on Tuesday jailed by Magistrate Renita Singh when he appeared at the Albion Magistrate’s Court after being found guilty on illegal gun and ammunition charges.Curtis Fraser, 25, of New Amsterdam was accused of having a .38 revolver and five matching rounds in his possession at Hampshire Village on the Corentyne on March 09, 2017.Fraser was previously convicted of armed robbery, and was released from prison days prior to this incident.During the trial, the prosecution’s key witness, Detective Corporal Emanuel Davison, told the court that on the day in question, he noticed Fraser riding a motorbike, and he was aware that he was recently arraigned with attempting to commit a felony.Davidson said that soon after, Fraser dropped the bike and entered a car which sped off the scene. He gave chase, and it was then he saw Fraser exiting the car and throwing the firearm into a heap of sand.The court noted that Fraser had accused several Police ranks of beating him in order to get a caution statement from him. However, when the Sergeant took to the stand to testify, Fraser never put it to him that the Sergeant had beaten him to get a caution statement from him.In a sworn statement, Fraser told the court that he saw a man in a car with a gun on his lap, and that he was ordered into the car, an instruction he followed.The Magistrate related that the court did not believe the story given, and that the only independent witness in the trial was the driver of the car, whose testimony was similar to the one given by Davison.“I believe that you had the gun in your possession and upon seeing Corporal Davison you threw it out, and I find that is why the majority of your questions were about possession. I think that you were under the misguided assumption that if you threw away the gun you were no longer in possession of the gun. However, the court found that it was in your possession when you threw it away. It was in your possession all the time. The gun was examined and it was found to be a lethal barrel weapon under the Firearms Act, and also there was found live ammunition inside the said gun,” Magistrate Singh ruled.The Magistrate also found that the caution statement given to the Police by Fraser was free and voluntary. Singh noted that it contained details of the planned robbery.“I find it quite strange that the Police would beat you to give a statement and will end up with all those details. Those are all things that you would have had knowledge of. You also said that the Police bought egg ball, Trill and water for you. I find it strange that the Police will feed you, beat you, and yet take you to the hospital to be examined. It does not add up. I find that you gave that statement freely and voluntarily, and that there was no beating involved,” she told Fraser, who was rudely interjecting.“You just wan listen to the Police! Whatever the Police say you believe! You do what you want to do! The Magistrate ain’t make no sense,” Fraser told the court.He was sentenced to three years on each of the charges. The court ordered that the sentences will run concurrently.
Martinez, 24, also was convicted of two counts of attempted murder involving Hipolito’s wife and brother, and one count of attempted murder of the baby. Authorities said the other attacker remains at large. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! COMPTON – A gang member was convicted Monday for killing a U.S. Navy sailor on leave from Iraq and also for trying to kill the sailor’s brother and pregnant wife. A Superior Court jury deliberated for about three hours before finding Raul Damian Martinez guilty of first-degree murder for the September 2005 shooting death of 20-year-old Osiel Hipolito. His sentencing was scheduled for April 19. Authorities said Hipolito was shopping at a strip mall near Compton with his pregnant wife and 16-year-old brother when he was attacked by two gang members. When Hipolito tried to defend himself, Martinez opened fire on him and his family, said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Andrew Kim. Hipolito’s wife was hit in the stomach and her baby girl was born prematurely with a gunshot wound in one leg. The brother was shot in the arm.
Chris Paul had 19 points, nine assists and six rebounds, and Clint Capela added 20 points in the win. Houston has won 15 of the past 17 meetings with Minnesota, including a 10-game winning streak at home.Coming into the NBA contest, Harden was leading the league in scoring (32.3 points) and ranked third in assists (9.1). He suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a double-overtime victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on December 31.Harden also extended his streak of double-digit scoring games to 227, the second-longest active streak behind Cleveland’s LeBron James (834).Gordon’s three-pointer helped the Rockets finish the third quarter on a 16-4 run to take an 89-70 lead into the fourth with their largest advantage of the game.With Rockets forward Trevor Ariza sitting out the first part of a two-game suspension for a postgame locker room incident on Monday in Los Angeles, Luc Mbah a Moute started in Ariza’s spot, scoring 14 points.Along with Ariza, guard Gerald Green was also serving the first of a two-game suspension for the altercation with the Clippers.Jimmy Butler led Minnesota with 23 points, and Karl-Anthony Towns added 22 points and 16 rebounds and five blocks. Andrew Wiggins finished with 16 points.Elsewhere, Isaiah Thomas made two clutch free throws with 11 seconds remaining as Cleveland blew a 23-point lead but managed to hold on for a 104-103 win over the Orlando Magic.Cleveland’s James finished with 16 points and now needs 25 to become the seventh player in NBA history to reach 30,000 career points. He’ll likely reach the milestone on Saturday when Cleveland hosts Oklahoma City.James committed six turnovers and went two of eight from the free-throw line on Thursday for Cleveland who earned just their fourth win in their last 13 games. Thomas finished with 21 points.“We know we’ve been struggling as of late,” James said. “We’re just trying to figure out how we can put two halves together.“We’ve got to keep pushing, keep watching film and seeing ways we can be better.”Cleveland guard Derrick Rose returned after missing more than two months with ankle injuries and scored nine points in 13 minutes.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Eric Gordon scored 30 points as the Houston Rockets defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 116-98, on January 18, 2018 © GETTY/AFP/File / Christian PetersenLOS ANGELES, United States, Jan 19 – Eric Gordon scored 30 points and James Harden added 10 in his return from injury as the Houston Rockets defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 116-98 on Thursday.Harden was back in the lineup after missing seven games with a left hamstring strain and finished with 10 points on three-of-15 shooting. He played 26 minutes and also had seven assists, two steals and two blocks.
Expose star MIchelle Doherty has called her son Max.Proud dad Mark with MaxMEET gorgeous Max – baby son of Donegal TV presenter Michelle Doherty.Michelle gave birth to Max last Thursday night in London. Overjoyed first time dad Mark posted the following pictures, of the couple’s cute baby. TV3’S MICHELLE SHOWS OFF GORGEOUS BABY BOY MAX was last modified: August 13th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:babyexposeMaxMichelle DohertyTV3
Ease into the “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness” with The Donegal Chamber Music Society as it presents a series of recitals at Conwal Parish Church in Letterkenny.The first of the recitals takes place on September 28th at 3pm with the Donegal Camerata String Quintet.DONEGAL CAMERATA STRING QUINTET SET FOR CONWAL RETURN was last modified: September 2nd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:camerataconwaldonegal
A man greeted a person he knew after meeting him in a winebar before returning and viciously assaulting him for no reason.Conrad O’Hanlon, of Newmill Road, Ramelton, was in McDaid’s Winebar on July 7th, 2013 when he said hello to the other man.The pair went to different parts of the bar but 28 year old O’Hanlon returned a short time later, asked how he was again but then head-butted the other man. He then began to punch him around the head leaving him with loose teeth, Letterkenny District Court heard.Solicitor for O’Hanlon, Mr Frank Dorian, said there was no apparent reason for the attack.Mr Dorrian said this was the accused man’s third time in court and all appearances stemmed out of drink.He added that O’Hanlon barely drinks now and asked Judge Paul Kelly to allow him some time so his client could gather some compensation to offer the injured man.Judge Kelly ordered a probation report on the accused and adjourned the case until November.MAN HEADBUTTED ANOTHER MAN IN WINEBAR was last modified: September 13th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:attackConrad O’HanlondonegalMcDaid’s WinebarRamelton
Former Cork City star and current RTE Soccer Republic panellist Dave Barry has praised Shaun Kelly for his performances since moving to Limerick FC. Kelly re-joined Limerick FC in July after falling out of favour at Derry City under the stewardship of Peter Hutton.Hutton has since been sacked, but Kelly has been in sensational form for his old club and has helped them go on a brilliant run which has given them a fighting chance of avoiding relegation. Dave Barry singled out Freddie Hall, Lee Lynch and Shaun Kelly and said those signatures by manager Martin Russell have helped Limerick massively.Kelly is from Killybegs and is a former Hearts FC youth player and he has also had spells at Dundalk and Galway United.Barry said, “Shaun Kelly has been absolutely superb since he re-joined the club, he was suspended for their last match and he was a big loss.“He’s been fantastic since he returned to the club and he along with Freddie Hall and Lee Lynch have been massive players for the club. SOCCER REPUBLIC PANELIST PRAISES SHAUN KELLY SINCE MOVE TO LIMERICK FC was last modified: September 21st, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:newsSport
How Liverpool could line up at Leicester with midfielder set for lengthy absence smart causal gameday Best clips, calls and talkSPORT moments of 2019, feat Hearn, McCoist and more Alexis Sanchez has been given the green light to travel to the United States to join up with his Manchester United team-mates.The forward was left back in Manchester when the rest of the squad headed across the Atlantic last weekend because of what the club said was a “personal administrative issue”, which it was hoped would soon be resolved to allow him to join the party at a later date. United play Club America on Friday at the University of Phoenix Stadium before taking on San Jose Earthquakes, AC Milan, Liverpool and Real Madrid during the pre-season tour.Speaking about Sanchez’s absence at a press conference on Wednesday, United boss Jose Mourinho said: “It’s really bad and he’s really sad.“It’s not good for him and not good for me, or for the team. There is no-one to blame. I know the club is making the effort but the US authorities have their processes.“Hopefully, he can at least join us later because it is important to work withJuan Mata, Alexis and Anthony Martial, who we think are the players we have for the start of the season. There is no (Romelu) Lukaku, (Marcus) Rashford or (Jesse) Lingard (all of whom were involved in the World Cup semi-finals).” highlights LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS How Man United could line up for Newcastle clash – will Pogba start? Sanchez was not able to travel with his team-mates Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? possible xi NEW ERA who plays? 2 ALTERED How Arsenal could line up in Arteta’s first official game in charge – Ozil return? Sanchez can finally link up with his team-mates Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener The administrative issue was assumed to be a problem with his visa after he accepted a 16-month suspended prison sentence in Spain earlier this year over a tax issue.Sanchez posted a picture on Instagram on Thursday accompanied by the caption: “The last training in Manchester, soon” followed by a picture of the US flag.United later confirmed the Chilean would be flying to the States.The Red Devils said in a statement: “There is good news on the Alexis Sanchez front as the Chilean star has been given the green light to fly to the United States to join Tour 2018.“The South American forward should be available soon to link up with his colleagues, following the first match of the trip against Club America in Arizona.” 2 predicted