first_imgMGN ImageDENVER – The United States is now confirming the first case of the new COVID-19 variant, first discovered in the United Kingdom and thought to be highly-contagious.Colorado Governor Jared Polis announced this week that a man in his 20s with no travel history is the first known case. The man is now in isolation outside of Denver.The Governor says no close contacts of the man have been identified yet, but health officials are working on contact tracing.A medical doctor and member of the Biden-Harris Transition COVID Advisory Board says the variant is “almost certainly in multiple states.” First detected in the U.K., as of Tuesday, at least 26 countries and Hong Kong have reported cases of the new Coronavirus strain.But it’s important to note, preliminary results from a Cohort U.K. study indicates there is no reason to believe the variant causes more severe disease.Other medical experts say it appears the new vaccines should be effective against the variant. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgSee video of racers cruising through Douthat’s sweet singletrackVisit cyclingdirt.org for more VideosSee video of ACE’s 1,500 acre adventure resort!last_img

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A St. James man who authorities said masterminded the illegal dumping of toxic construction debris at four locations in the Town of Islip was sentenced Thursday to one year in jail.Thomas Datre Jr., the owner of a contracting company, had pleaded guilty last year at Suffolk County court to four felony charges of endangering the public health, safety or the environment. His co-defendant, Christopher Grabe, who also pleaded guilty to environmental crimes, was sentenced to 30 days in jail.The duo were among six people initially arrested after investigators uncovered debris laden with hazardous materials at Roberto Clemente Park in Brentwood, an Islandia veterans housing complex, Deer Park wetlands and a property in Central Islip.Charges against Datre’s father, Thomas Datre Sr., were dismissed.Ronald Cianciulli, an asphalt company owner, was convicted last year of endangering the public health, safety or the environment and operating a solid-waste management facility without a permit. He is scheduled to be sentenced June 1.Ex-Islip Town Parks Commissioner Joseph J. Montuori Jr. pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy and endangering the health, safety or environment. His former secretary, Brett Robinson, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct. Authorities said they knew of the dumping and let it happen, but they were spared jail time.Town officials have said that the debris has been removed from the Brentwood park, which is slated to reopen this year.last_img read more

first_img 6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Jerome Powell, nominated for Federal Reserve chairman, told lawmakers the case for raising interest rates at next month’s policy meeting is strengthening, as the labor market improves without spurring the U.S. economy to overheat.Powell was picked by President Donald Trump to replace Janet Yellen when her term ends in February. He spoke Tuesday at his confirmation hearing in Washington before the Senate Banking Committee. The Fed will hold its final policy meeting of the year from Dec. 12-13.“I think the case for raising interest rates at our next meeting is coming together,” Powell said under questioning by Senator Dean Heller, a Nevada Republican. “Conditions are supportive of doing that.”Powell, who has served as a Fed governor since 2012, said he couldn’t guarantee that he would vote for a rate increase because he had to hear the views of his Federal Open Market Committee colleagues at the meeting. continue reading »center_img The Federal Reservelast_img read more

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_img Topics : Read also: From MRT to Transjakarta, here’s how services have adjusted to citywide transport restrictionsThe Real Time feature, meanwhile, provides passengers with information about Transjakarta’s schedule.“Passengers do not need to open various apps or visit bus stops to check the bus’s estimated time of arrival. They only need to open the Tije app on their mobile phones,” said the company in a statement.Following the launch of the new features, Transjakarta’s service and development director Achmad Izzul Waro said the bus operator would also install free Wi-Fi connections at all bus stops along all corridors. High-speed internet services will be provided along corridors 1 to 12 by the end of this year, while a fiber optic network will be installed along corridor 13.“We are going to prepare the fiber optic cable along corridor 13, so the service can be enjoyed by all passengers and Jakarta residents,” he explained.Izzul said the high-speed internet service aimed to improve passenger queue management during busy hours.   He also encouraged entrepreneurs to use the free Wi-Fi service to support their businesses.The Tije application is available for download on the Play Store and App Store. (jes)  Following the World Health Organization’s (WHO) warning of the potential for COVID-19 infection from touching contaminated objects and surfaces, city-owned bus operator Transjakarta has added four new features on its Tije application: Transfer Ticket, Digital QR Ticketing, Smart Assistance and Real Time.Jakarta Transportation Agency head of road transport Susilo Dewanto said in a statement that digital innovation had been a top priority, as the company sought to support the city administration’s efforts to control COVID-19 transmission.The innovation is also in-line with Regional Strategic Activity No. 29 on the Jak Lingko Integrated Transportation system, one of the success indicators of which is the implementation of the One Person One Ticket system by Transjakarta. Therefore, the four features were launched to allow Transjakarta passengers to make contactless transactions and access the integrated system.center_img #mothermessage #covid19taskforce #wearmask #keepyourdistance #washyourhand #socialdistance #avoidcrowd #usesoap Transfer Ticket, for instance, allows app users to purchase Transjakarta tickets for friends or family members via their mobile phones. Meanwhile, Digital QR Ticketing enables contactless transactions, as users only need to scan a QR code when purchasing a ticket.Additionally, the Smart Assistance and Real Time features aim to provide users with comfortable and hassle-free journeys.The former serves as a personal assistant that can remind users about their upcoming trips with Transjakarta.last_img read more

first_imgQualified farmers have to registerwith their respective local government units. The Registry System for BasicSectors in Agriculture (RSBSA) is currently being updated. Aside from the P3 billion for thisunconditional cash transfer, the DA also has P10 billion for its RiceCompetitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF). According to Engineer Roy Abaya ofDA’s Agriculture Field Programs Operational Planning Division, rice farmerswith half a hectare to two hectares of rice land will receive P5,000 each. “We hope to release the fund beforethe end of the year,” said Villacorta. ILOILO City – To help small ricefarmers affected by the falling prices of palayand the deluge of imported rice, the Department of Agriculture (DA) hasallocated P3 billion for unconditional cash transfers. Meanwhile, the National Food Authority(NFA) has a P7-billion budget to procure palaydirectly from farmers. Of this, it has already bought 10.25 million bags as ofthe second week of November./PN According to DA assistant secretaryAndrew Villacorta, there is P2.5 billion, too, for the Expanded Survival andRecovery Assistance (SURE Aid) program, extending a P15,000 zero-interest loanpayable in eight years to farmers tilling one hectare or less of farm lotplanted to rice. Around 166,000 farmers are the target beneficiaries. Abaya was here recently for theNational Rice Industry Stakeholders Conference. The targets are some 600,000 ricefarmers from Iloilo and 32 other provinces.last_img read more

first_imgMANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte’sdecision to sign an executive order declaring a state of public healthemergency due to the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) had been threeweeks late. Department of Health (DOH) secretaryFrancisco Duque III sought the declaration as early as Feb. 21 when theCOVID-19 cases in the country were just three. It would also put to rest questions onwhether an automatic price freeze on medicines and medical supplies may be madeby the DOH and the Department of Trade and Industry, he further stated. Meanwhile, opposition senator FranklinDrilon said President Duterte may only declare a public health emergency whenthe COVID-19 is already a threat to national security, given the wealth ofinformation given to him. In his letter to Executive SecretarySalvador Medialdea, Duque said the declaration would “ensure awhole-of-government response”, citing a “four-door framework” adopted by theDOH interagency task force on infectious diseases. Citing Republic Act 11332 or the“Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public HealthConcern Act”, Drilon said the Secretary of Health has the authority to declarean epidemic of national concern, like in the case of COVID-19. Declaring a state of public healthemergency would entail the activation of the Code Red, which requires that “allhuman and material resources must be made available for duty and deployment.” “Under this framework, theidentification of even one case due to local transmission or sustainedcommunity transmission beyond hospital and community surge capacity puts us inthe fourth or last door,” stated Duque. Presidential spokesperson SalvadorPanelo said on Sunday Duterte only agreed with the declaration over the weekend“after considering all critical factors with the aim of safeguarding the healthof the Filipino public.” DOH on Saturday raised the country’salert system to Code Red, Sub-level 1 – a “preemptive call” for authorities andhealth workers to “prepare for possible increase in suspected and confirmedcases,” according to Duque. “A declaration of public healthemergency would be crucial to facilitate the sufficient and immediate access tofunding, particularly for local government units, and ease processes onprocurement, mandatory reporting, mandatory quarantine, and travelrestrictions, among others,” added Duque. But Drilon said a declaration of apublic health emergency should not lead to skirting of regular procurementprocesses on medical equipment to be used to address symptoms of COVID-19 likepneumonia and other respiratory ailments. “And when the same threatens nationalsecurity, the President shall declare a state of public health emergency andmobilize government and non-governmental agencies to respond to the threat. Soonly in cases where the epidemic threatens national security,” the Ilonggosenator told DZBB. The country has so far confirmed sixcases of COVID-19, including a 62-year-old man with no travel history abroad.The man’s wife also tested positive for the virus, making her the country’ssixth case. “Walangnakalagay sa batas na ipagtabi natin o balewalain natin ‘yung procurement laws. Maybidding pa rin ‘yan,” he said. “Ang batas sinasabi lamang mandatoryreporting requirement at kung naging nationalsecurity issue ay puwedeng mag-declareng public health emergency. Ngunit ‘yan nakalagay sa batas, tomobilize national agencies to respond to the threat.”/PNlast_img read more

first_imgCharles Edward Lee, 83, of Greensburg, passed away on March 3, 2018.  He was born on August 6, 1934, in Greensburg, the son of Lloyd and Louise Lee. He was a 1952 graduate of Sandusky High School. On August 6, 1954, Charlie married the love of his life, Barbara Jane Dillow. Charlie was a contractor and built many homes and businesses for the last 63 years. He loved sports and especially enjoyed watching his children and grandchildren participate. Charlie loved to go fishing and he spent a lot of time on his excavator, bulldozer, and bobcat. He loved to laugh and spend time with family and friends. Charlie was a member of the First Christian Church of Greensburg. Survivors include: Wife – Barbara Lee; Children – Eddy (Ronda) Lee, Gary (Becky) Lee, Lisa (Willie) Wilson, Lori (John) Wilson and Angie (Tim) Stapp, and son-in-law, Jim Walker. Grandchildren – Eric and Phillip Shafer, Lynsey (Nate) Crowell, Josh (Lisa) Lee, Matt Lee, Andrea Lee, Michelle Lee, and Alex Lee, Kylee (Isaiah) Thomas, Kari (Jordan) Craig, Adam (Alli) Wilson, Chelsy (Brian) Stewart, Chasity Wilson, Brad Wilson, Trevor Stapp, Meghan Stapp, and Sarah Stapp – 19 Great Grandchildren; Siblings – Mary Louise Bailey, Ralph (Nancy) Lee, Joyce Sefton, and Anna Jo (Ronnie) Chandler and many nieces and nephews. Charlie was preceded in death by his Parents; Daughter – Cathy Walker; Granddaughter – Jamie Shafer; Brothers – Freddie Lee and Jerry Lee. Visitation for family and friends will be held on Tuesday, March 6, 2018 from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm at the Gilliland-Howe Funeral Home.  Funeral services will be held at the First Christian Church of Greensburg on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:00 am.  Rev. Danny Wolford will be officiating. Burial will follow at South Park Cemetery. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.gilliland-howe.comlast_img read more

first_imgRelatedPosts EPL: Son fires four past Southampton Trio of signings make instant impact as Everton stun Spurs EPL: Spurs, Everton light up London Tottenham Hotspur winger Lucas Moura’s brilliant solo strike and defender Jan Vertonghen’s late header sealed a 2-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in an entertaining Premier League game at Molineux Stadium on Sunday. It was Spurs’ fourth league victory in five games under Jose Mourinho since the Portuguese took over last month and the result also snapped Wolves’ impressive 11-game unbeaten run in the competition. Tottenham got off to the perfect start in the eighth minute when the lively Moura drifted past several Wolves defenders and smashed in a fierce right-footed shot that gave goalkeeper Rui Patricio no chance at the near post. Vertonghen, who endured a torrid afternoon due to wave after wave of Wolves attacks, popped up for the winning goal in the first minute of stoppage time with a fine header from a corner to seal all three points for the visitors. Wolves had earlier responded in emphatic fashion in the 67th minute when Adama Traore fired in from distance for his fourth league goal of the campaign, after the hosts had relentlessly pushed for an equaliser on a rainy afternoon. Spurs could have earlier doubled their advantage in the 37th minute, but Eric Dier dragged a shot wide from close range and only managed to hit the outside of the post after Patricio had failed to clear his lines. Spurs can leap into fourth place with a win over Chelsea next weekend, while Wolves travel to Norwich City.— Tags: Adama TraoreJan VertonghenRui PatricioTottenham Hotspurlast_img read more