To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) is looking to fill two newly opened positions to support its marine energy testing activities.The center is seeking a Performance Test Engineer, and a Project Officer to join its Orkney-based facility for testing wave and tidal energy technologies in the sea.As Performance Test Engineer for EMEC, the successful candidate will be required to develop and maintain test software and equipment, analyze and interpret test results, and prepare technical reports for clients.The position also entails providing technical input into the development of testing and certification schemes for the sector, EMEC noted.The second open position is that of Project Officer, whose job responsibilities will include supporting project management activities, developing and monitoring schedules and reporting on project progress.The Project Officer will also be tasked with supporting EMEC’s consents process, to ensure the fulfilment of statutory consents requirements for both EMEC and its clients.The deadline to apply for either of the positions has been set for April 20, 2018.
Southampton-based Williams Shipping has started transporting MHI Vestas’ 82-metre-long offshore wind turbine blades built at the Isle of Wight factory in the UK.According to Williams Shipping, a special design of blade transport barges was created since the blades cannot be transported by road and are instead transported by barge from the Isle of Wight to the painting facility in Fawley and then to international docks for shipping overseas.The 76-meter-long barges are self-powered and capable of working in the shallow waters around the Solent, with an unloaded draught of 0.65m and a loaded draft of 0.75m, the company said.Besides managing the operation of the vessels, Williams Shipping will be managing the stevedoring with cranes installed at local sites on the Isle of Wight, Fawley and Portsmouth Docks. The company said it has positioned cranes and site offices at each site to manage the stevedoring.Williams Shipping won the contract in early 2018, while the blade transport barge was delivered to the company’s marine base at the Southampton Dock at the beginning of April.Philip Williams, Director of Marine at Williams Shipping, said: “We’re really pleased to get started on this contract. We have spent some time getting all the equipment and people set up and the arrival of the blade barges was the final stage. MHI Vestas’ ongoing investment has been great for the area and we are glad we can play a part in building the wind energy industry on the south coast.”In November 2017, MHI Vestas announced it will repurpose part of a decommissioned power plant in Fawley into a painting and logistics facility for the blades, which are used for the V164 offshore wind turbines with a nameplate capacity of up to 9.5MW.The blades have been manufactured at the Isle of Wight factory since 2015, with serial production commencing last year. The facility is expected to produce around 150 blades yearly, according to MHI Vestas.Images: Williams Shipping
Photo: Franklin County Historical Society WebsiteBrookville, In. — The Franklin County Historical Society will hold a picnic pitch-in on Monday, August 20 at 6 p.m.Stephanie Ison from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will present, “The History of Brookville Lake” at 7 p.m.Residents are asked to meet At the Brookville Overlook Shelter at 10064 Overlook Road and bring a friend and a covered dish.
By Dana Royer/34 RacewayWEST BURLINGTON, Iowa (May 10) – Shane Watts has been racing stock cars for eight years and never won a feature. That changed Saturday night when Watts held off Jason Cook to get his first IMCA Sunoco Stock Car victory at 34 Raceway. Watts took the lead from John Brockway on lap five while there was a three and sometimes four car battle going on behind him. With five laps to go, Cook moved into the second spot. Watts and Cook passed the flagstand nearly bumper to bumper with just two laps to go. On the final lap Watts was able to get some breathing room and took the checkered flag for the first time. Despite having a fire in his car during heat race action, Cook was still able to make the field and moved up from his sixth row start to finish second.Rich Smith was the IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified feature winner. Bobby Anders topped the Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod main.
By Alan BaldwinMONZA, Italy (Reuters) – Lewis Hamilton won the Italian Grand Prix for Mercedes on Sunday with an utterly dominant drive that sent the Briton clear at the top of the Formula One world championship for the first time in a year.The triple champion, who started the last race of the European season from a record 69th career pole position, led Finnish team mate Valtteri Bottas to a runaway one-two finish at Ferrari’s home track.“I love it here in Italy and I love the passion of the fans,” Hamilton declared on the podium jutting out over a sea of red-shirted Ferrari fans, with plenty of boos coming his way amid the cheers.“We did a great job, the team did an exceptional job this weekend,” he added.“Mercedes power is definitely better than Ferrari power.”Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, who had led the standings since he won the Australian season-opener in March, finished third in the final race of the European season and 36.3 seconds behind the winner. Bottas was 4.4 adrift of Hamilton.”It was a difficult day, a difficult start,“ said Vettel. ”My race was fairly isolated, we tried to keep as close as possible but we simply didn’t have the pace.“You could say it’s a bad day but I know the team is on the right way… so I am in a very positive mood despite the numbers.”Hamilton is now three points clear of the German, with seven races remaining. Mercedes are 62 points clear of Ferrari in the constructors’ standings.The first driver to win two races in a row this season, with Monza following on from Belgium a week ago, Hamilton now leads Vettel 6-4 on victories in 2017. He has 238 points to Vettel’s 235.The last time Hamilton led the standings on his own was at Monza a year ago, with now-retired team mate Nico Rosberg emerging as the eventual champion.FEW THRILLSHamilton and four-times champion Vettel were level on points this year after China in April, with one win and one second place each.If Sunday’s race was a dull affair, there was at least plenty of sunshine in marked contrast to the steady rain that drenched fans and delayed qualifying for hours on Saturday.Hamilton pulled away cleanly from his historic pole, and fourth in a row at Monza, and was never challenged as he drove to the chequered flag with the minimum of fuss.It was his third Italian Grand Prix win in four years and 59th career victory — only Michael Schumacher, whose pole record he beat, can boast more — and few have been more straightforward.Force India’s French rookie Esteban Ocon, chasing his first podium finish, grabbed second place off the line from 18-year-old Canadian Lance Stroll in the Williams but then faded and finished sixth.Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen moved up to fourth initially, to cheers from the crowd, while compatriot Bottas dropped to fifth before swiftly regaining the place.Red Bull’s Max Verstappen clashed with Brazilian Felipe Massa’s Williams in an incident that forced the Dutch teenager to pit with a puncture.Vettel meanwhile had started sixth but began to move up through the field, cheered every time by the throng of ‘tifosi’ on the 70th anniversary of founder Enzo Ferrari’s first car, before settling into the loneliness of third place.Hamilton meanwhile was relentless, pulling away from the four times champion at a rate of almost a second and lapping half the field.Australian Daniel Ricciardo took fourth place for Red Bull, with Raikkonen fifth. Stroll ended up seventh, one place ahead of Massa, with Mexican Sergio Perez ninth for Force India.
By Joel DubberPERTH (Reuters) – Pakistan were left humbled and humiliated by Australia’s miserly bowling unit, which set up a comprehensive 10-wicket victory for the home side in the third Twenty20 international on Friday and ensured a 2-0 triumph in the rain-affected series.Batting first after losing the toss at Perth Stadium, the tourists mustered just 106 after Australia’s seamers combined for seven of the eight wickets to fall. The target posed no problems for the hosts who blasted their way to 109 in 11.5 overs.Pakistan struggled from the outset, with paceman Mitchell Starc (2-29) picking up two wickets in the third over. Babar Azam, the world’s top-ranked T20 batsman, was trapped leg-before for only six while Mohammad Rizwan was clean bowled on the next delivery.Sean Abbott, playing his first international match since bowling a bouncer which fatally struck New South Wales batsman Phillip Hughes in 2014, bowled economically (2-14) and was heartily embraced by his team mates when he induced a top edge from opener Imam-ul-Haq (14).Top-scoring with 45, Iftikhar Ahmed played a lone hand before being caught at fine leg off the bowling of Kane Richardson who recorded career-best figures of 18 for three.“Starcy, Kane Richardson, they were brilliant every chance they got,” said winning skipper Aaron Finch. “Sean Abbott, to come back after five years and do the business first up was unbelievable.”After the change of innings, openers Finch (52 not out) and David Warner (48 not out) entertained the modest Perth crowd – experiencing their first T20 international in nine years – with a lusty display of twilight hitting which produced five sixes and eight fours and saw Australia cruise to victory.Both teams now turn their focus to red-ball cricket, with the first of three tests starting on Nov. 21 in Brisbane.
FRANK Warren thinks Anthony Joshua’s promoters want to avoid a heavyweight unification fight with Tyson Fury as it would be too risky for their fighter.Bob Arum, Fury’s co-promoter along with Warren, has held preliminary talks with Matchroom Boxing boss Eddie Hearn over the prospect of a mouthwatering all-British bout.WBC champion Fury faces a third fight with Deontay Wilder next, while Joshua is due to step into the ring with Kubrat Pulev after their bout – scheduled for June – was called off amid the coronavirus pandemic.Warren believes the main issue getting in the way of a deal being agreed for Fury and Joshua to fight is Matchroom promoters do not want it to happen.He told talkSPORT: “My concern, first and foremost, although they talk about it a lot, Matchroom, I don’t think they want the fight. I don’t think they want to put AJ in with Tyson, I really don’t think so.“I hear all the noises, but actions speak louder than words and at the moment it seems to me – and I’m not normally wrong on things like this – I’ve got a gut feeling they don’t want it and I think that’s for a reason.“I think Tyson’s the best heavyweight on the planet, there’s no doubt about that, and it’s a big risk for them. It’s a feeling from me. I’ve never had any conversations (with Matchroom) because I don’t deal with them.“I know they’ve had talks with the MTK people (Fury’s managers), I know there’s also been conversation with Bob Arum, but I’ve told them all the way through this I don’t think they want it.“If Tyson, which I believe he will do, beats AJ, then they’ve got a problem.”Warren also revealed that an offer has been received for Fury to fight Wilder in the Far East, but refused to confirm Macau in China was the location.“I can’t say that (the offer is from Macau) at the moment, (but) it is from the Far East,” he said.“The fight will be back end of the year. All of the big fights are gonna be back end of the year.”(Omnisport)
Published on September 9, 2013 at 1:15 am The time has come. No, not to give Drew Allen the ol’ cowboy boot.Merely to give Terrel Hunt a chance.It’s a chance he deserves, especially after showing on Saturday night that he can command an offense.Here’s my proposal: Play Allen in the first half and Hunt in the second half against Wagner this Saturday. It doesn’t matter if Allen goes 42-for-45 with six touchdowns or 3-for-29 with five interceptions.He could have a Mark Sanchez-esque butt fumble or put together a Peyton Manning-type masterpiece. It doesn’t matter. Keep him in the entire first half and swap him out for Hunt at halftime.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textUsing Wagner as a guinea pig makes a whole lot of sense. The Seahawks lost to Division-II Merrimack College. They beat Georgetown by only a touchdown.Not only does the half-and-half system give the coaching staff a live-game look at both quarterbacks, but it also inspires each to put on a strong performance.Elite athletes thrive under pressure. Or at least they should.Football is all about reacting in pressure-packed situations, so seeing which quarterback responds better to the task will give the coaching staff a sense of who should play in Week 4.I think this is a fair compromise and a decent solution to the million-dollar question. Practice hasn’t been open to the media since Aug. 21 — 10 days before SU’s season-opening loss to Penn State — so I really don’t know which quarterback should start.Starting Allen in the first half and Hunt in the second wouldn’t hurt Syracuse’s chances of winning the game in any way, shape or form. It would simply give the staff a better glimpse into the kind of quarterback Hunt is in a real game.On Saturday night Hunt was clean as a whistle. He sparked Syracuse to a touchdown and looked extremely relaxed both in and out of the pocket.Hunt already has the trust of his teammates and has developed chemistry with key returning players, which may help him eventually get the starting nod.Or maybe the staff will find Allen’s reward is worth the risk. After all, he has thrown for 468 yards in two games and shown that his cannon downfield is every bit as tantalizingly useful a gizmo as advertised.But the interceptions have come in bunches. Six picks in two games isn’t going to cut it if Syracuse wants to salvage its already eroding season. Four picks in a game against Clemson and the score will be 59-3 before you can say, “Tajh Boyd for Heisman.”So maybe Hunt should get the nod. His mobility is optimal. His arm doesn’t have as much pop as Allen’s, but for all we know maybe he’ll make better decisions under pressure.“If we’ve got to play one we’ll play one,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said. “If we’ve got to play two we’ll play two.”The seesaw sways back-and-forth. The truth is we really don’t know.Rather than choosing one quarterback or the other, I’m simply advocating that both play against Wagner. It’s the best way to derive accurate data. From there, the staff can make an informed decision about whom to start against Tulane.The quarterback situation is a disaster. A change needs to be made. That change may not end up actually being a change. Perhaps Allen is the best option. Or maybe it’ll be a drastic change if Hunt sizzles his way through Wagner like he did Northwestern’s second team.I say Shafer sits both quarterbacks down and tells them the situation. One half. Earn the job. Essentially start from scratch. There’s not much else to do. Playing Allen clearly hasn’t been working and playing Hunt may not either.Heck, maybe throw Charley Loeb in there for a quarter.Trevor Hass is an asst. sports editor at The Daily Orange, whose column appears occasionally. He can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter at @TrevorHass. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Published on January 28, 2015 at 12:20 am Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org | @matt_schneidman Every morning last summer, Sergio Salcido woke up around 8:30 and had oatmeal, a six-egg omelet and egg whites to try to put on some weight.He then spent up to an hour and a half at Davis Training Systems in Orlando, Florida had a salad or sandwich for lunch and finished the day at Winter Park High School with an hour and a half of shooting, followed by wall ball and more shots.It was all part of a regimented offseason intended to transform Salcido from a scout-team player who imitated top offensive opponents in practice last year, to becoming one himself. The 5-foot-7, 157-pound sophomore isn’t physically imposing, but his intangible skill and knowledge of the game is what has the Syracuse coaches planning on using him as a second-line midfielder in a jam-packed position group.“I was getting the looks, the reps in practice,” Salcido said, “competing against the starting defenders, which I think is starting to pay off this year.”While Salcido’s role was primarily to mimic what upcoming top attackers would bring at SU defenders, learning a handful of offenses instead of just the Orange’s reaped major benefits for him as well.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“He did a lot of roles last year that some kids can’t do,” said assistant coach Lelan Rogers, who also runs the scout team. “(Scout team players) are getting a crash course in college lacrosse probably a lot quicker than guys that are learning just one offense or two offenses.”Salcido helped SU’s top defender, Brandon Mullins, better prepare for future opponents. In turn, Mullins would give Salcido tips such as how to place his stick when rolling away from pressure.He’s parlayed that advice into results on the field, which began to show in Saturday’s first scrimmage. Against Hofstra, Salcido dashed from the right side of the field toward the middle, leaping and firing a left-handed shot over the goalie’s shoulder and into the top of the net from distance.While it was only one of 18 SU goals in the exhibition, the sequence was a microcosm of what Salcido brings to the field.“He can juke and he can do a split-dodge against any player on our team,” Rogers said. “… like Hakeem Lecky can, like Henry Schoonmaker can. He may not be the size of some of those guys but sometimes the smaller you are, the quicker you are. He’s a pretty good shooter, too.”But Salcido’s strength playing on the wing and his proficiency in picking up ground balls may push him into a more significant role, as the new faceoff rules integrate more wing play into the game.Head coach John Desko said Salcido’s position on the wing is one way he’s finding to get more time on the field. That, and the fact Salcido is always in the coach’s office asking how he can get on the field, Rogers said, is what’s making him stand out more.“He has always come in and talked about the offense, defense, clears and rides,” Desko said. “I’ve said all along the guys who understand the offense and defense tend to get on the field quicker than guys who don’t.”On Saturday, when midfielder Tim Barber was asked if there were any second- or third-line players who stood out, “Sergio Salcido” was his first answer.And while the praise was similar to what he received in practice last year, Salcido may now be able to display his explosiveness against opposing defenders instead of just his own.Said Rogers: “He’ll have those moments when, wow — but now the secret is being consistent to do that all the time.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+